Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Studio Portrait

While talking with Ellen about this assignment and getting to know her, she mentioned that she was generally a pretty calm and mellow person, but that she can also be crazy and loud. I decided to portray her in both of these ways using the different light set ups.
This portrait of Ellen was meant to portray her as crazy and fun.
I chose to make the background lighting crazy tie-dye colored to get the mood I was looking for. I positioned two lights on the background, each with two different colored gels in them, so I had a total of four different colors on the background. I really like how my background turned out. I also lit Ellen with a soft box directly in front of her.

This portrait was meant to show the more pensive and artsy side of Ellen. She's shown here with her sketch book and I liked the idea of her working. When shown the use of side lighting examples in class I was really drawn to this type of light so I was hoping I'd get a chance to do it for this assignment. I lit Ellen with a spotlight from the side and put a grid on it to keep the background dark. I also used a reflector to eliminate some of the shadows on her face, but it didn't work quite as well as I was hoping.
                          And this is my lame attempt of sketching a lighting diagram. I was never very good at drawing...

No comments:

Post a Comment