Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Self Critique for One Day Photo Story

So this is a little delayed but I figured I'd talk a little bit about the process of shooting my one day story. I got there at 8:00 am and stayed with Josh for basically the whole process of brewing beer. It was a lot more sitting around than I thought it would be. Visually it was pretty tough to shoot in the brewery because the lighting was bad but I also don't think a flash would have helped much. It was a lot of fun though, despite the amount of downtime we had. I challenged myself to shoot in different ways and to really work on my composition throughout the day. I learned in staff that I often struggle with composition and really framing my shots so I made that my main focus on this shoot. I think my edit reflects my work with composition on this shoot. The shots I think I did really well on with this are the lead shot, the second shot, and the closing shot. Overall I'm happy with my assignment and felt good about the final edit I put together. I wanted to portray less of the process of making beer and more of how his typical days go and how he feels about what he does. I think this edit does that, though I do wish I could cut it down. Sometimes I think I get too passionate about certain photos and don't want to cut them out (an example of this is the tight portrait I took of him). Looking through my story, I think I would take that portrait out, but other than that I'm not sure which I would eliminate.

No comments:

Post a Comment